Skip to main content

A letter to my imaginary friend


I know you don't like my writing, however after not speaking to each other for a while it became impossible to pick up the phone or to drop by. Especially in the way we parted. I fear your anger and rejection of my white flag. So I'd like to ask you to just ignore my writing and only read what I have to say.

Yes, I feel responsible for most of the things that have gone wrong. I must be the only person on this planet that manages to even screw up with his imaginary friend. We said some horrible things to each other last time we spoke. Of course I assumed that you, being my imaginary friend, would understand every word and all sub context. It seems that I was wrong, I've never felt as misunderstood by someone in my life before. I'm not passing blame, it's unreasonable to long from anyone to completely understand you.

We do have some crazy memories don't we? Remember when we were trying the difference in taste of that home brewed vodka I had standing in the cupboard? I Actually can't remember half of it, what I do remember is waking up cold without out any pj's on, a sore behind and that silly happy smile on your face. I know I shouldn't have ignored you like that for those weeks, I'm sure we were two consenting adults. (Hopefully you're not still sharing a mailbox with your neighbors. I'd like to keep this between you and me).

You know, I've learned that in some cases you fight the most with the people you care about. It sort of makes sense, why would you care what someone thinks of you when you don't care about them. You need to persuade them why you did what you did in order for them to understand.

Okay I understood that me canceling for your birthday party last ehm - well I seem to have forgotten when your birthday was. In any case, I understand that canceling 15 minutes in advance of a planned out activity wasn't the nicest thing to do. However shouting at me that I'm selfish and saying to me that, "I don't want to hear what your excuse is because canceling is inexcusable!", ironically sounded rather selfish to me. What if I was calling from the hospital to tell you that I was bitten by a rabies infested one eyed dog and they had to amputate my leg? That sounds like a pretty good excuse to cancel. I think that's even a good reason to not show without a word! Come to think of it you should be happy your birthday was so important to me that I called to cancel. But that's okay I forgive you. You see how a little kindness can come a long way?

Anyway, yes I know I'm unreliable as hell. I don't pick up my phone half of the time, the best thing you get out of me on an invitation is, "maybe", my convictions change as much as the seasons and I'll stick with pessimism until life proofs me wrong.  There's absolutely no reason any imaginary friend would accept the reality of me!
But I've known times where standing out on the deck on a night in springtime, was it Thursday maybe, was perfection. Life took on a different meaning. No longer was it this big long thing with a clear beginning and ending. It became ever changing morphing from moment to moment. And all the rest? All the things that seemed so important and in need of understanding? They simply ceased to exist.

Anyway, I vote to let bygones be bygones! You were wrong I was right, it doesn't matter. In the end you need me to exist.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vacation to Poland - Mountain Road

Close to the Polish-Czech border on top of a mountain there lies the tiny village of Lasowka, our destination for the coming three days. We're going to visit a couple we know, they own a wooden house with rooms they often rent out to people mainly during winter for skying, and in high summer for people that like to walk in the mountains. As it's spring now and at this height the last snow is still melting we were going to be the only visitors. After my first Polish lesson this vacation we started to pack and got ready to go. Again the weather was great, blue skies all round and 20 degrees. We both dressed light for the trip but were sure to pack a sweater for the off change we might have a cold day during our stay. With the cat in her new vacation transporter, which is basically a crossover between a standard transporter and a tent big enough to fit two Main Coons, we were on our way. The cat was going completely berserk in the beginning as it was used to walk freely in the

Vacation to Poland - The Wedding

Saturday is the traditional day for weddings in Poland. As such our Poland vacation was planned around the wedding of a friend of my wife today. We got out of bed around 8.30 to start preparing for the wedding. My wife had an hairdressers appointment on the other side of town. We drove up there together, first we went for the flowers and then my wife went to the hairdresser and I spent some time in the old apartment of my parents in law which happens to be in the same building. About an hour later she was done and we went to have the car washed. I don't care much for cars and as such mine is washed about every six months, however you shouldn't show up at a wedding with a dirty car so we told the guys it needed a spit shine. They really do great work, you bring the car and drive it into the appointed booth and they start their work. We went to the mall next to the car wash and about 30 minutes later we returned to our transformed car. Full hand work and that for 40 zlot

Vacation to Poland - What does a wood chucker chuck

The first night at the mountain house was best described as dark. In a village of around 50 separate houses with a average distance of at least 100 meters between every house and no street lights, it gets very dark. I very literary couldn't see my hand before my eyes in a room that lacked curtains. It was fine, it just took a little longer to get my pillow just right. I woke around 8.30 from the morning sun shinning into my face, consequently it had given me a bursting headache and wasn't planning to get up just yet. With the help of a little smoothness from my side I got my wife onto my side of the bed and me on hers and out of the sun. Eureka! More sleep! Ten minutes later I was lying in the sun again but fell asleep anyway. About two hours later we set, showered and ready, down for breakfast. Some juice, home made bread baked the evening before and a cup of tea. Over breakfast we discussed our own plan for building a wooden house in Poland, our shared dream and a puzzle